View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Badboy, I have read reports where, on autopsy of PWP, they did not find any alpha-synyclein clumps, yet the deceased had been dx'd with PD and been taking PD meds for years.....similarly, there are people who were never dx'd with PD who on autopsy, they found the clumps. Can you reconcile this? To me, all this means is that the clumps are not definitive at all, since some PWP don' t have them (but should) and some non-PD people have them (but shouldn't)!

I have not found any research reconciling these conflicting findings.
LURKING, pd is misdiagnosed, essential tremor, vascular pd, are diagnosed as pd. so you'd expect that you'd find some inconsistancies from that angle. not sure about the people with lewy bodies with no pd symptoms. you see the same thing in alzheimers, clumps and beta amyloid but no alzheimers symptoms. you've also have rare mutations that cause young onset pd and maybe mutations that protect neurons even with lewy bodies, just like there are individuals that are immune to aids.. you had the case of those drug addicts who developed a pd like syndrome overnight after taking synthetic heroin which responded to l-dopa, i doubt they had lewy bodies. so there must be different ways to destroy dopamine neurons that doesn't involve alpha syncluien, maybe just just damages other genes? how many different types of breast cancer are there? and how many cancer survivors are there now that the most comnon forms have a cure/treatment yet the uncommon ones are still a mystery? just me making an educated guess, keep in mind we share 1/3 of our genes with broccoli, 99% with chimps, yet look at the diversity.

Last edited by soccertese; 02-14-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: grammar
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (07-24-2014), lab rat (02-15-2014), lindylanka (02-16-2014), lurkingforacure (02-16-2014)