View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I did not cut out fruit, but do try to eat the more healthy versions (blueberries, grapefruit etc.). But mostly, before, I was eating a lot of sugary sweets, chocolate (containing lots of sugar), cakes, etc. when I came upon articles of people - and even kids - with fatty liver disease, even though they didn't drink. I used to think only alcohol abuse could lead to that, but apparently eating bad food can have the same effect.

Sugar - well, fructose - turns out to be pretty much the same as alcohol for our livers. It makes sense, as in the end alcohol is fermented sugar. I also read about glucose intolerance.

For me, as soon as I seriously changed my diet, I noticed a change in about a week. Both the PN and arthritis reacted spectacularly. From being almost wheelchair bound I bounced back to being able to "mostly function".

Of course, I had also taken the right supplements as advised on this forum, and at the same time I was nearly a year completely sober, so that all might have played a role. Still, as I reported in another thread, the results were spectacular and they still are.

There are also other members here who react badly to too much sugar (and alcohol)

As for when you notice: very very hard to say. You might not notice it at all. You might think you notice but it's something else altogether (stress, weather changes...). PN is very hard to "nail down". I often read posts from members who suspect supplement xyz has changed the symptoms, but often that later turns out to be a false alarm. I have experienced this myself! Add to that that we are all different, and that the medical science has accepted that some forms of PN are idiopathic, which for me translates as: we don't really have a clue.

So I would just try it for a month and see if it makes a difference, and take it up from there? In the mean time I would keep on researching, and maybe others will chime in about stevia. Don't forget it might be completely harmless; we simply don't know yet.

Edit: I forgot I also read recently (but I have no link, sorry) that sugar replacements can still cause us to create too much insulin, as if it was the real thing. High insulin levels are really not good for us (and also for people who don't have PN).
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote