View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 12:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Gotta love that URL!

The point is being missed here. The gluten, in some people like you and me, causes an inflammatory response. This opens the pore sizes in the membranes that line the blood vessels and GI system and brain and god knows what all. This, in turn, lets partially digested food leak into the areas defended by our immune systems. This leads to identification of "self" as "non-self" and attacks that lead to further inflammation. etc etc

Go to http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/gmi/gluten and look over the evidence.
There IS coeliac disease, and there are people who go undiagnosed. So gluten IS a problem - for some. If we didn't have huge swathes of undiagnosed or wrongly diagnosed people, trawling the internet for answers to their health issues, and a sort of establishment knee jerk reaction of disbelief when other things are mentioned, or a diagnosis was questioned, then we would have a heck of a lot more clarity.

I am all for hard science, but when you come down to it, that is not what we get. As some already know I am B12 deficient and rapidly going down hill under the standard protocols, now awaiting things that will hopefully help. There is no guarantee they will though, I quite literally have to suck it and see (v. hi-dosage sublinguals for those who might be interested). This with the nod and wink from my practice pharmacist, but no documentation.

I had hoped to do this within my health system, so if I ever am at it's mercy I won't be subject to it's apparently willfull blind spots. After doing some really heavy research I find that all the scientific evidence out there points exactly to the kind of damage I am sustaining! Furthermore that evidence is contained in textbooks journals and studies by the international experts in their field, ones that have been peer-reviewed. This is what is happening to many thousands of people who are looking at why what they are prescribed in not helping them. It applies to all sorts of conditions.

Alongside of that theres a list of conditions that are being re-classified, its growing longer, and the list is headed with words like psychological, functional, etc.

There is highly unlikely to be one answer to the cause of PD, everything points to many causes one condition. (This is not unusual. In fact scientists know this possibility exists.) So some people may find improvement from gluten-free, and if Braak is credible, then something is doing the damage. Some of the agents implicated, are implicated in many other conditions too. I don't believe that gluten is one of my own problems, but coeliac exists,and causes other conditions, so I'm willing to have an open mind on it.

I knew a coeliac kid very well way back when one of my kids was in school. His mother was undiagnosed till he was. He didn't have a full complement of baby teeth, or adult ones either. No dentist would say absence of teeth = coeliac, but clearly in his case it did. TBH until the mum was found to have coeliac herself she was being investigated for neglect. Theres a long trail of weird and shocking treatment that goes back quite a way, as I found when I researched megaloblastic madness, something that can only be controlled by treatment of an organic cause.

Science is not an absolute, and most scientists know it. That is why they use terms like theory and hypothesis, and would rather call a medication a treatment rather than a cure.

I've got a favourite saying; Patients hold many of the answers, and a lot of the time science is just not looking or listening. If you want to be a white rat, thats ok too.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (02-16-2014), dilmar (02-16-2014), violet green (02-17-2014)