View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvallejo View Post

How has your ability to work been affected by your MG? (Specifically interested in speech or swallowing issues but all info is appreciated)

How has your social life been affected?

At times before treatment I could not speak a word. I sounded like a stroke victim. This made it difficult, but not impossible to work. I drive a taxicab and need to communicate with the dispatcher and passengers. The inability to communicate could have created safety issues. What if I needed to call for help? Sometime a cab driver needs to raise his or her voice to defuse a potentially violent situation. One needs to project aggressiveness to avoid escalating some situations further. It is a disadvantage if weakness is perceived. Without the ability to scream at a passenger, I might need to take physical action where a loud voice might have sufficed.

There is a affect on ones social life. In my case I drive a taxicab on the graveyard shift, always weekends. This tends to be a rather isolating lifestyle. Friends and family are on a day-cycle, so it is already difficult to connect with them. Add to this the inability to speak and the the isolation is intensified. One cannot even stay in touch with friends on the phone.

-Mark-

Last edited by Panorama; 02-17-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Panorama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote