View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1234 View Post
I have only been taking the Cymbalta for a few days and thus far it just makes me feel worse. I am 40??
I understood that about the Cymbalta. I had a really bad experience with Effexor and had to discontinue after a few days. I could barely see, my pupils were so dilated, and I couldn't stop yawning, couldn't sleep. I was only suggesting that since you have started, if possible stick with it a for a couple of weeks to see if it can help. A lot of people end up with an anti-seizure medication, an anti-depressant, and an opiate for severe PN. I am on 1800 mg. Gabapentin and 30mgx3 time release morphine with oxycodone 7.5 / 325 for breakthrough pain. I have severe leg pain most likely from muscle atrophy.
Age factors into any decision about pain management and a lifelong chronic illness. If you are very young opiates are not a great idea as they do have to be adjusted upwards after a while, although this process can be very slow. The prospect of taking these meds for most of one's life is not ideal. Any side effects would be magnified and there may be cognitive losses. In the elderly cognitive effects may be much more pronounced. Your age makes it more complicated to make the call, all you can do is read everything you can about the options in pain management. Neuropathic pain is notoriously hard to treat but hopefully you can find something that gives you a decent quality of life without too many side effects.

Many of us have had bad experiences with doctors. You learn very quickly not to trust them too far or believe everything they say. PN is a very difficult disease to treat and very elusive to diagnose. Patients easily can become better informed than their doctors if they do their research.
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (02-17-2014)