View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Biogen,

I had spinal Fusion L4-5, as well as a laminectiomy about 8 years ago. My vertabra was compressing a nerve soooo badly, the surgeon said he had never seen "such an angry red nerve". But, he also told me I had other issues that would continue giving me pain. He said he had taken care of the worst problem, as well as what needed immediate attention. My spinal cord was also tightly compressed; thus the laminectomy to open enough to give my spinal cord a little more space. I still have spinal stenosis; just not as bad. Even tho I still have quite a bit of pain; had I not had this surgery the nerve would have probably been permanently damaged so no regrets.

I have been on a pretty high dose of narcotic pain meds to cope with the 24/7 pain, which

averages about a 6-7 and up from there. Also, take breakthru meds when it spikes too
high I have been under the care of a pain management doctor for years. If you haven't already, you need to get with a PM doctor as soon as possible. Tried all the procedures; but pain continued so narcotic meds dose continue to be raised. I have been at my current dose for the past few years.

As Pam mentioned, the laxatives are an important part of the side effects. Unfortunately, in my case, the hospital did not see that I had a BM before leaving. It was about 11 days when I went to ER and they couldn't reach anything so sent me home with some pretty strong stuff. Finally moved on the 12th day.

Take your meds; don't wait until pain is out of control making it more difficult for them to work to help relieve your pain.

Wishing you all the best.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hana (02-22-2014), PamelaJune (02-17-2014)