View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Growing up with Epilepsy

Hello, I am 49 and I have had seizures since the age of 4. As you can imagine there is a lot I don't remember from childhood and a lot I do remember. There is one thing that does not change and that is the feeling of a seizure. Do not ever think that your child can't comprehend anything that is going on around her/him just because they are having a seizure. Screaming and getting excited does not help, it makes it worse. In the first stages of a seizure you can still be aware of what is going on and not able to respond so getting all excited just makes matters worse for a child. As an adult I just want to tell them to shut up, if I don't go into a convulsion I'll be ok in a little while and if I do it will be just a little longer so chill out; unfortunately, it does not work that way because I am not able to respond even though I am aware of everything going on around me. There are so many different types of seizures and I have several different types myself. Seizures take a lot of you physically, and after one seizure it takes a few days to recover. I sometimes feel nausea, always a headache, every muscle hurts, and your mouth really hurts. I have tingling feelings in my arms before seizures and bad headaches. My mama said I used to walk around in circles and I believe her, to this day before I have a seizure I get up and walk around and don't even know where I am going or why. I hope this is useful to someone, give the Seizure patients that you know a break, we hear and see more than you think. Be patient, and let your kid be a kid. My parents were great they did not let that hold me back from trying new things, of course they were their and safety percautions were always taken but let them be kids.
suzukisuzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote