View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I agree.......however

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
As most of you know, I exercise a great deal. I am also subject in several research studies that are related to cognition, both here in Seattle and the NIH in DC and I'm joining a new one at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I just finished my third round of testing here in Seattle and was told that I was better this year than last year and better last year than the first year. I know I'm not getting any smarter, so I'll just attribute it all to exercise.
Nan, I fully agree about the importance of exercise for PwP. I also have been in a number of cognitive studies. My concern is the tests that are used by the studies I have participated in. They are limited and tend to be overused. I have taken all three versions of the MOCA more than 20 times each and can recite the memory portion for each right now without looking. I think in some of these studies the results are greatly influenced by the learning curve. Therefore, I am not surprised when participants do better on these tests in follow-up. What we need to see is that patients who exercise have more and longer lasting improvement, than those who don't exercise. My guess is that properly designed studies will show that.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (02-18-2014), Stand Tall (02-18-2014), zanpar321 (02-18-2014)