View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Worried about general anesthesia

Hello everyone,

I'm 25 years old. I've had a large ruptured l5 s1 disc for about 8 months now. It causes a good amount of pain down my left leg, especially in the morning. I also get tingling and what I think is leg weakness. I've done the conservative treatment approach and it hasn't helped. I talked to my neurosurgeon and I've decided to have a microdiscectomy two weeks from today on March 4th. I'm just very worried about having general anesthesia. Some of it has to do with my having mitral valve prolapse. It causes me to have palpitations. I also take a low dose ( 10 mg) of Lisinorpril for hypertension and 10mg of simvastatin for cholesterol. Is general anesthesia pretty safe? Does it feel like you're falling asleep? My neurosurgen said that most of the anesthesia will be given to me through IV with a little through gas. Will they give me propofol? Also, will I have to be on a ventilator? From what I understand, if you're on smaller doses of propfol you will probably breathe on your own while bigger doses will require a ventilator. I'm guessing when I had my wisdom teeth out I was given a smaller dose. Sorry for the long post,

Joey
Wonderyears427 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote