View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krtrame View Post
Hello newbie here! I don't understand all the terminology regarding protruding, bulging and herniated discs. For the past 4 weeks I have had neck pain, right shoulder pain that radiates down the entire arm into the hand causing a numbing effect. I have also been having headaches. I will apologize in advance for the long post. The doctor sent me to have a MRI and the nurse called and stated I had a protruding disc pressing on the spine and I needed to see a neurosurgeon??? Here are the results:
C2-3 desiccation of disc but no significant protrusion, buldge, or stenosis
C3-4 mild disc buldge eccentric towards left. Small uncovertebral joint osteophyte on the left side. No significant stenosis
C5-6 mild broad-based disc bulge with superimposed right paracentral disc protrusion. Disc material extends back up to 2.5 mm to contact the ventral aspect of the spinal cord on right side. No significant stenosis. Appears to be minimal signal within spinal cord on right side
C6-7 no significant buldge or protrusion or stenosis
C7- T1 same as c6-7
Impression:
1.)Right paracentral protrusion at C5-6 which appears to mildly compress the ventral aspect of spinal cord right of midline. There is a focus of increased signal within the cord at the level of this compression.
2.) mild disk bulging eccentric towards left at the C3-4 level. No significant spine or stenosis.
3.) Milder disc degeneration at other cervical levels as described above

Can anyone translate this?
Hi,

Latest reports suggest that disc hernias that are not emergent surgical cases, will be in the same place one year post-incident whether they have surgery or not. Without the knowledge of a file review, I will simply say you need to rely on your doc/surgeon for your best advice but understand you have options (unless your have significant clinical findings) such as trials of PT (to include traction), conservative medical protocol i.e. Medrol dose pack, epidurals, chiropractic and acupuncture...or a combination of all the above before you progress to surgery. MRI findings are not the answer to your problems...they only confirm clinical suspicion and may bend the curve towards treatment. Your clinical findings dictate where you need to go!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote