Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk_01_2002 View Post
mrsD

Do you have any answers for my above question posted a while back.

Thanks,
Sorry I missed this post some how....

I'd stop all B6, and get retested.

But you know when you are taking vitamins they will show up in the testing as "highs" but you may be having symptoms from something else.

How old are you? Old enough for blood pressure medications?
The dermatological issues may be from something else you are eating or taking in RX medication form?

The prime cause of dermagraphia can be ACE inhibitors used for blood pressure. Angioedema can be from allergies or a condition called hereditary angioedema. The latter is from excess bradykinin and not histamine which is in the allergic type.
They are similar since both chemicals are biogenic amines. But the cause is different. The ACE inhibitors cause a buildup of bradykinin, and if a person is low in C-1 inhibitor, due to genetic reasons, then the excess causes all sorts of symptoms. Swelling of parts of the body, dry cough, difficulty breathing and the skin redness/itching etc are all symptoms. With HAE there are GI symptoms too, pain, cramping diarrhea, vomiting are all possible.

Blood work from labs does not take into account any vitamins you may be getting in food. OTC products like 5 hr energy, energy drinks, fortified cereals, etc can all have B6 in them. The lab ranges vary depending on the lab too. All the ranges were made using "normals" who were NOT taking any B6. Labs make mistakes and miscalibrate machines. Quest did this TWICE and one of those times lasted a whole year with Vit D testing! All their reports for that year were erroneous!

I have on this thread, a paper done on autistic children who were screened prior to B6 therapy...and some were found to be high in B6 already and not using B6 at all. This situation demonstrates that some people may be high in this vitamin, and just not know it. And it calls into question how accurate labs may be or not, and how useful the testing really is. All of the B6 papers I've seen only address intake resulting in symptoms. The blood work often does not make it into the abstracts available on PubMed.

I believe that the testing for B6 tests for all forms in the body, and pyridoxine has 2 other forms that are floating around.
It is possible that handling of the specimen can result in lysis (rupture) of the cells which then spill out their contents into the serum, which is tested. This happens with potassium testing, as well. It is called a factitious result.
http://ajcp.ascpjournals.org/content/131/2/195.full
B6 testing is not that common, and may not have made it to the research level yet, to reveal errors of this type.

Long term high dosing at one time was common, in treatments for PMS in women. Some people were taking 500mg or more a day. This has moved out of the common arena today, so B6 testing is not commonly done. Having a lab do a CELLULAR value would demonstrate more IMO. Only some special labs do this type of nutrient evaluation.

The classic symptoms of B6 toxicity are neurological, with numbness and difficulty walking predominately. Not rashes or hives which suggest allergy or bradykinin issues.

I'd consult an allergy doctor for your skin problems, if you haven't already, and if you have other symptoms that point to HAE, I'd get the testing for that which most immunologists do:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/135604-overview
If you don't have Medscape, it is free and easy to sign up for.
Their copyright does not allow for posting their pages here.

Another cause of severe allergic issues is mastocytosis.. and that is genetic too.

Certain foods and families of foods can cause skin reactions.
Histamine releasers and histamine found in food are something you should check, after you look at any RX or OTC drug you may be reacting to:
http://diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance/

So I do really think you need further evaluation by a doctor specializing in allergies etc.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote