View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I'll look this up for new info.

As far as I know today.... Depakote (another anti-seizure drug) has been shown to deplete carnitine in vivo.

Now, some actions of anti-seizure drugs, like Vit D and folate interference are all lumped up together for some reason. But not all of them equally affect those either. So is hair loss etc.

The Depakote/carnitine thing has been documented a long time ago, and even has caused deaths. But then that was BEFORE gabapentin and Topamax arrived to replace Depakote.

I'll look around today sometime, but this interaction is NOT in the reference I use. Gabapentin is listed but says: "no interactions" as of 2002 when it was printed. It takes time for the reports to make it medline and PubMed though. I don't expect that the information you found is accurate. If you can PM me the location of where you read it, that would help.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (02-21-2014)