View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
So many things don't add up about [gabapentin]. Doctors hand it out like candy, it is considered very safe, then it shows up on an admittedly dubious list from AARP as causing cognitive losses. That it only helps about 30% of the time is usually left out of the information. I think it does help me, but it has been five years now and I am curious about tapering it.
I see that Wiki has picked up on this.
Quote:
Pain

Gabapentin provides significant pain relief in about a third of people who take it for fibromyalgia or chronic neuropathic pain; however, there are side effects in two thirds of people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin#Pain
Do you know if you actually needed the higher dose in order to be effective? I balked at the dosage, and argued (successfully) for starting at a lower dose (100 mg.—the smallest dose made) and that was very effective for me (for the short time I was on it). Given its propensity for tolerance, this may have been a good thing indeed. I often think the higher dosage has been another of Big Pharma's ploys to wring extra profits out of an out-of-patent med.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (02-21-2014)