View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yesterday was my "one year" anniversary of my head injury and subsequent PCS.

I floundered for a long while until some great people on this board recommended I see a neuropsychologist who was instrumental in my recovery.

I was seeing my primary care and a neurologist when I met with him, but through testing and interviews he pinpointed exactly what my issues where, and referred me to appropriate therapy - speech therapy in my case at a rehab hospital on an outpatient basis for memory issues and cognitive deficits.

There I learned that I was not "crazy", that I "might" improve, and maybe more importantly that I could learn "compensatory strategies" that could allow me to live as normal a life as possible.

I decided this is no different that anyone else that has had an accident and subsequent injury and is forever changed.

I don't know if I will get better, but I feel a lot better than I did a year ago. I was not driving, I had bad headaches, I had bad "foggy" feelings. When I saw the neuropsych in June of last year, he said "in one year, you will be a different person". I did not fully believe him, but it is true, although I am a "different" person, as some things that were easy and automatic, require effort now.

My own personal belief is that it takes confidence, the right therapy and time, and in the end, acceptance and accommodation. But I think maybe the greatest gift to those of us afflicted is support - from those who have "been there, done that", which this board is.

Hang in there! It's a long journey.
macdebbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AlmaVera (11-04-2015), bh_pcs (02-26-2014), Mark in Idaho (02-21-2014), Mokey (02-21-2014), poetrymom (02-21-2014)