View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

The description of your pain, location and experience definitely fits with Neuropathic pain. Especially that you had the tooth extracted and are still in pain. Have you heard of Trigeminal Neuralgia? I have Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia and I can relate very closely with your experience. You should do some research on TN (Trigeminal Neuralgia).

I am on Amitriptyline and have been on it for about five months. It has been my lifesaver. First of all, I increased dosage very slowly. I started off on 10mgs and worked my way up to 40mgs over a month and a half. How long did you try taking the Amitriptyline? and at what dosage?

I understand why you stopped taking it. The fatigue is a lot to handle but as you get used to the med that goes away. I feel completely normal now. When I started taking it I would take it in the evening, pass out by 8pm and wake up feeling hung over. Through the day I just felt very blurry and lacked energy big time. Now I take it around 6pm (once I am settled at home for the night), am asleep by 10pm, have an amazing sleep and feel pretty good when I wake up.

This medication really takes some time to start working, about four or five weeks. It is commonly used for this type of nerve pain. There are other medications to try such as Nortriptyline and Lyrica.

You are not alone in the pain you are feeling. There is a serious lack of information amongst the medical and dental communities regarding neuropathic pain and trigeminal neuralgia.

Any other questions you have feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat42 View Post
About 5 years ago I had a filling done on lower right 6. Ever since i have had constant pain in the gum under the front side of the tooth. This was where an injection was done - the injection did seem to me to be pressing hard against the bone when it was done. The pain is only at this location and is constant in intensity - I would say a medium pain level.

I had the tooth extracted recently yet the gum pain remained. My dentist referred me to a hospital oral maxillofacial consultant. He diagnosed neuropathic pain and said there's nothing he could do but said try Amitryptaline. I tried Amitryptaline but it completely zonked me out even on a low dose so i have given on them. Now I am just trying Benfotiamine and R-Lipoic Acid which some people say has helped their neuropathic pain.

Any help would be appreciated.
justjane37 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote