Thread: Newby here
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newby here

I have been recommended to this site for answers to my concerns on filing for disability. I have read the questions and answers from others and have found them greatly informative. Thank you all in the past.

I am a construction trades electrician whom has developed a serious problem with COPD that has made it impossible to continue in the work trade. I am 63 years old and in the last year went through two cases of cancer, prostate and lymph node cancer. The prostate was removed and still today having continued problems with disfunction and leakage. May require more surgury. My Lymph node cancer was properly treated with Chemothearpy injections and continued visits for followups are required. The Chemo did create a layoff in my trade with no exclaimations of why the layoff when there was many more months of work on this job. My copd complications made things impossible for stairs, small jobs around the house to accomplish. I have been tested in the lung capacity and given a .8 reading which is well below the 1.30 requirement disability requirements. I have also been prescribed the use of an oxygen generator for use and now use this 50% of my daily use.

The questions I have for you all. First, I am on my insurance plans disability and receiving income based on state unemployment income. My plan has provided me with a counselor to properly file my self claim for SSD and this was filed September 6, 2013. My plan has also informed me that if Social Security denies me my claim, they will provide me with an attorney for free to refile an appeal. Still today, I have not received and answer from Social Security on anything relating to the status of my claim. I was informed by my counselor to leave things alone or my claim will be shuffled to the bottom of the pile. I have a friend whom has filed, with an attorney, and has been scheduled with review appointments from Social Security all within the first month.

What must I do to receive fair treatment for consideration in my claim? Am I being put aside for not having an attorney?
LittleLegs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote