Thread: Carotidynia
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Carotidynia

Three years ago I was randomly afflicted with major chest pain. Originally, I thought it was a heart attack (at age of 35). The emergency doctors said it was anxiety.

I haven't had a chest pain episode in three years since. However, the pain moved to my Carotid Artery. After two years of miss-diagnosis, including surgery to remove a lymph-node and my tonsils, I was finally diagnosed with Carotidynia.

My episodes are severe. The pain starts in my neck, and within a day or two, spreads to my jaw, teeth, and the side of my head, much like a severe migraine or abscessed tooth. It is unbearable for a few days, then slowly goes away.

I've been living with this for over two years now. After they finally diagnosed me, they put me on Gabapentin. My Doctor just ups my dosages whenever I call her about the pain going away. I'm up to 800 mg a day, and there have been zero results.

Questions:

Is there another medication? (Gabapentin really messes me up. I loose my balance easily, and have trouble concentrating. It is making work almost impossible.)

Is there a narcotic that can help take the pain away during an flare up? (It's not that I want to take narcotics, but it's too the point where I cannot even sleep or lay down. I usually have to sleep in my recliner when I have an episode.)

Is there a cure or surgery? (I have insurance, and am willing to do anything to get rid of this. This is a life changing condition for me.)
Jacob76dem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote