Thread: Carotidynia
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob76dem View Post
Questions:

Is there another medication? (Gabapentin really messes me up. I loose my balance easily, and have trouble concentrating. It is making work almost impossible.)
Have they (you) not tried prescription migraine meds? They're named as a firstline treatment by many sources.

Quote:
Is there a narcotic that can help take the pain away during an flare up?
There may likely be, but currently, doctors are reluctant to prescribe narcotic medications.

Quote:
Is there a cure or surgery? (I have insurance, and am willing to do anything to get rid of this. This is a life changing condition for me.)
I don't know the answer to that question. A surgical solution might best be asked of a vascular surgeon.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest spending some time on goggle researching this condition so that you understand it, and what is/isn't known about it (there seems to be some controversy in the medical literature as to whether it's a distinct condition or not).

There have also been previous discussion here (if this link doesn't work, search for carotidynia in the archives.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/se...ry=Carotidynia

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 02-24-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: reworded for clarity
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote