View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been dealing with a swollen left foot for 5 years. The most heartbreaking thing in the world for me was getting rid of dozens of pairs of high heels I'll never wear again.

I've been lucky so far. I've found sneakers I can buy pairs of, usually after 4 or 5 shoe stores and trying several dozen pairs. I look for ones that I can lace loosely on one foot and still have it come to the edges of the tongue but still lace it tightly enough on the right foot.

For "cute" shoes I've resorted entirely to ballet style flats. I prefer something of a material that is soft and with give so it will not cut into me too painfully. These work relatively well because they have plenty of give in just widening out as my foot swells and they slip off easily if they start to hurt.

Because shoes are simply painful for me, as soon as it gets warm enough to give them up I go to flip flops. I've had to spend a fair amount even on those, buying pricy ones that are soft in the sole and with padded bands but they keep me sane in the summer. I'm counting days til spring! So glad I'm not an East coaster.

The last thing I do is only even look at shoes that come in a wide width. It is the only way I know they'll have the room for my totally swollen foot when it gets to its worst. I don't know how helpful this will be, but it's worked for me so far. It doesn't make me feel better about shoe shopping, and it doesn't make it go well, but I always shop with a plan and sort of know what to look for. Maybe other people have more or better ideas.
Adalaide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
moosey2me (03-03-2014)