View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Stress Busters

Steff/Wendy

Some of my PD symptoms have worsened of late, particularly I have the return of a stiff painful kneck. The application of heat helps but only for short periods.

I know if I go to Consultant I will probably get more Levodopa, I cannot tolerate Agonists and am already on max dose of Amantadine. So thought I would try other things rather than morgage the future with more LDopa at this stage.

So enroled on 6 week, one on one, (could not risk making a fool of myself in group sessions) Pilates beginners course. Two down 4 to go.
Also started having weekly head and back massage followed by hot stones (I know how to have a good time!). I work in a Hotel Golf & Country Club complex with an onsite beauty and theropy salon so no excuses really.

After only two sessions of each my neck is much improved but the unexpected bi product has been stress relief particularly from the massage.
Had never had a massage before and just cannot believe how I feel afterwards. So relaxed I can barely talk, my pulse slower than it has ever been and feel like I am floating on air for the rest of the day. I only live 5 minutes away but felt unable to drive home. Not PD like fatigue but a gentle tireness. Cannot wait until next week.

I had nearly 30 years of highly stressed executive torture (looking back) and this is therefore a particularly interesting thread for me.

I have a friend who is in remission from two bouts of cancer and she swears by daily meditation as her way of coping with the impact of her illness and the fear and stress of the longer term implications. So thank you Wendy for steering me in that direction too, I feel another course coming on. See if I can find a weekend residential meditation course, anyone fancy coming too lol?

My levodopa intake ain't going up just yet!!

Thank you again Steff & Wendy.

Chris
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote