View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Speaking of nobody wanting to get involved...you may not get a call back from the neuro...he may not want to get involved in a problem that could end up in a courtroom, (likely won't because Alan is OK, but this is how it goes.)

You faxed over the statement to his office and that should become part of Alan's permanent medical record.

I get my pepper spray online as 'dog replent', from an online cycling store...Called 'halt'...pepper spray is pepper spray. I once had to down a dog with it, and it just killed me to do it, but the darn dog bit me in the thigh the day before....I just let it go. I didn't tell the owners, as they were kind of neighbors, farm down a mile a two... but when the darn dog crossed the road and came after me again, he got a snootful....wow, that was that...when he saw me toodling up the hill, he went and hid. Never had a problem with him again....he just knew who I was, and left me alone...of course, dogs are smarter than people at times.

On the grizzly bear spray...I have that too, (huge can-from when we went on a mtn. hiking trip) and my son decided to 'test fire' the spray in the driveway....I was quite far away, however there was a slight breeze, and my eyes were watering and of course, it felt like pepper spray and he was aiming the other way! If you ever have to shoot that grizzly bear stuff, be aware it is so strong you are gonna have to run and shoot behind you.....and be aware of wind direction!! It is much worse than my dog stuff which just comes out in a skinny stream and travels about 20 feet. In my 20 years of cycling I only used it once...I have been chased more times than I care to remember, some of the dogs were viscious....got bitten twice. I love dogs, so I don't spray without being extremely scared, because it hurts to het hit with it, and I am loathe to hurt an animal, when it is the owner who should be held responsible. I have 'Invisible Fencing' to contain my pups in the event they decided to chase, and you never know, it is instinct for dogs. It really works.

I have found that if I bike or walk and let it hang out of my bike jersey or pocket, it discourages any one messing with me. People can see it, it is legal here and it avoids any problems. Avoidance is always better than confrontation.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote