View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hey Susanne :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
A lot of your symptoms fall into the classical small fiber neuropathy category, which does not always show up on EMG/NCS. Could you persuade you doctor to do a skin biopsy? It is the standard test for SFN today. Even with that, some people do not test positive. This is a frustrating disease, hard to describe accurately and extremely difficult to deal with without a clear diagnosis. A number of people on the forum currently are struggling with that ambiguity.

We share a lot of symptoms, at least that is what I experienced when the neuropathic symptoms really started setting in. I have a hereditary neuropathy and had neuromuscular symptoms from childhood, numbness did not set in until my 30's. I am 52 and have deteriorated a lot in the past five years.

We cannot tell you to quit your job. I think that you will know when it is time. Many of us cannot stand for more than a few minutes without severe pain setting in, sometimes lasting for days. If you could begin the transition to a different kind of work that might be wise, as you may progress to this point.

Rapid onset and progression is usually due to a toxic neuropathy, were you taking any statins or antibiotics around the time of the onset? Both are known triggers for neuropathy.

Are your hands affected at all?

Thanks for saying it much better than I could

Toxic neuropathy....my SFN started suddenly one month after I finished 6 rounds of chemo (taxol/carbo). My A1C also spiked to 8.7 during the chemo.

Debi from Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (02-24-2014)