View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Tied & Deb,

About 16 years ago was diagnosed with Graves Disease (Hyperthroidism) thru my primary doctor doing some general blood work and added throid test. After my PM received the result, she called me and suggested I see an Endocrinologist who, rather than killing off part of the throid gave me meds to take daily. He prescribed Tapazole for about a couple of years (my Endo has me get blood work tests for my throid every 4-5 months).

Eventually, went into remission which my Endo said was quite unusual. He still continued with blood work every 4-5 months. Eventually, went Hypothroid (low throid). I have been on Synthroid for the past 10 years or so. I still get my throid blood work done every 4-5 months. I first used the generic for Synthroid. Read something on the internet that mentioned a generic should not be used for Synthroid. Brand Only should be used...Synthroid.

After a few months on the generic, my blood work showed I needed my med increased. I asked my doctor to allow me to first try using Synthroid and not the generic to see if that made a difference. I went back for bloodwork after 3 months. With the Synthroid; my numbers were good and I did not need an increase. I am on the same dose for the past several years. I still to this day get my bloodwork the week before my appointment with my Endocrinologist ( every 4-5 months).

Also, Ithe Synthroid needs to be taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. The pharmacist usually has a little extra strip on the med bottle instructing the Synthroid to be take this way.

Tied....
.From your description it would appear you might have some form of Graves (hyperthroidism). I would strongly suggest you make an appointment with an Endocrinologist .

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (02-26-2014)