Thread: Newby here
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear LittleLegs,

Possible ideas. Since you are 63, you could take early retirement benefits (eligible at 62), and be receiving those benefits while you wait on your disability claim. Once you reach FULL retirement age, whatever that may be for you, I am guessing 66, even if you are approved for disability, your disability benefits revert to retirement benefits at full retirement age. You would be on disability only from the date determined by SSDI as your disability date until you reach the age of full retirement.

The catch is the difference in the money amounts.

Early retirement is less than disability money amount. If you collect early retirement benefits while waiting on decision and later get approved, they will calculate the amount of your benefits based on the disability amount from the date that you are entitled to it and deduct the retirement benefits already paid to you from your back benefits.

When you reach FULL retirement age and are on disability, your disability benefits will cease and become retirement benefits. The question then is the amount of money that is then considered retirement.

I am not sure on this but I "think", instead of getting the amount you would if you waited until FULL retirement age for ANY type of benefits, instead you will continue at the same money amount as you had under disability. It is just not termed disability after full retirement age. I could be wrong. I do not think they bump you up to the full retirement benefit amount if you were on disability at the time you reach full retirement. I think you stay at the same amount.

The advantage to taking the early retirement is getting money while your claim is pending and also if you are denied.

The disadvantage is that you get may be stuck at the lower early retirement benefit if not approved and stuck at the lower than full amount of retirement if you are approved.

Does this make any sense to you? Like I said, I am not positive about what $ amount happens if you are on disability when you reach 66 (or your age requirement) but I think it remains the same and is not bumped up.

Be sure you understand the pros and cons before making a decision about retirement benefits now or waiting.

Good luck to you.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LittleLegs (03-03-2014)