View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Tinky,

The bacteria is going to be present for several+ more days. Pain is not always an indicator of the extent of the problem. So it is best to have the original surgeon look at the site at least 2 days before you travel.

What gel are you using on the gum? It is best to use nothing that contains alcohol, chemicals, or any irritants as this will cause further irritation. Warm salt water rinses are the ideal remedy for post operative care.

Be careful with the irrigating syringe. It is ideal to use it gently with little force on the plunger and only use warm salt water in the syringe .... it is meant to gently flush out debris, not force it out like a hose. The body forms a sticky bio film tissue to help protect and close the site. Any forceful irrigation will interrupt the formation of this film and either slow down the process or prevent it from healing completely.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Dear Bryanna,

I would like to thank you in advance for all of your expertise and reassurance. I've been reading many of the related topics before posting my question. Here it is.

I have undergone quite a complicated wisdom tooth extraction on Friday, 14th February. My 38 was impacted, partially in the bone and in the gum, however not errupted. The roots were pretty deep and one was hook-like. My surgeon had to section it into four parts and it took him about 45 minutes to take it all out, clean and stitch the site. I had massive swelling and felt really uncomfortable, but that was expected. What surprised me was quite an uncomfortable case of sore throat, it was painful for me to swallow.

On Wednesday it felt as if my stitches came undone, so I booked an appointment with another surgeon the same day. She said I had contracted a post-op infection, opened the site, cleaned it and prescribed me doxycycline (one pill twice daily for five days) and metronidazole (3*250mg for seven days), along with syringe to clean the extraction site. She told me I don't have to come for a checkup unless I feel worse.

I have been experiencing mild discomfort similar to irritated gums along left side of my mouth over the weekend, but almost no pain and it gradually subsides. There's no discomfort at present. The extraction site and surrounding gums are not painful, still a bit swollen, but only a very little. My surgeon had to hack quite a bit into my bone so I guess that's expected. I still can't open my mouth fully, but enough to eat and I guess that only needs time.

However I wonder - how do I know the infection is gone? My swelling is down, almost gone, the pain isn't there, the only thing is a bit of dry mouth in the morning, but I presume that's due to the antibiotics (it's listed as a side effect). I brush my teeth regularly and irrigate the hole with the syringe I've been given, along with some local gel to treat the gums. Can I presume as long as there's no pain, everything is healing nicely? I'm worried as I'll be travelling abroad next week and I hope there aren't any nasty surprises in store for me.

Thank you very much for your kind answer!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote