View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec161 View Post
Been on and off reading this board since 2008 but rarely post. Quick history - 34 yo female. Had 1st rib resection with Dr. Gelabert in 4/2009 after 10 years of chronic pain. Symptoms returned 11/2012 and have been struggling to get treatment through workers' compensation. After a year of tests and unsuccessful PT and acupuncture, finally had surgery approved and got scalenectomy 2 weeks ago, on 2/11.

Turned out scar tissue built up and attached itself to my subclavian artery and scalene, pulling the artery up an inch from it's desired location. While Dr. G admitted this probably sucked for me - apparently it is was pretty cool for him, as a surgeon, to see. He found an extra scalene in my first surgery, I guess I am just anatomically fascinating... :-/

I know recovery on rib was rough but I appreciate the body's inability to remember pain because this has really sucked. Was in hospital 3 nights post-surgery trying to moderate pain - and discovering an allergy to dilaudid. I went to ER 6 days post-surgery convinced my incision was infected as it was swollen and red. Dr. G believed this was the normal healing (and irritation from the dressing tape) as my pain level hadn't changed much. I got antibiotics just to be safe. It's been slowly getting better and today I am finally able to go more than 4 hours between doses of oxy.

I'm noticing less tingling/pain on the ulnar nerve but my radial nerve is super flared up since surgery. Anytime I reach for something, I get this electric current down into my thumb - I'm hoping this will go away. Still a lot of scapular, neck and shoulder pain. Mostly worse than pre-surgery but I assume that has to do with the new trauma. I see Dr. G for follow-up on Wednesday.

No real point in posting this except to share 2nd surgery outcomes. And because I am trying to will myself recovered so maybe this adds to my strength. I will try to keep you updated - especially because I haven't seen a ton of 2nd surgery posts on here. Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of the end (again).

good luck with your recovery and definately keep us posted. If I ever do surgery it most likely will be with dr. G too.
jkl626 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote