View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Possible Symptoms?

Hi folks! I've had migraines for about 8 years, and recently was to a Neurologist. I mentioned to him some "odd" events in the past such as temporarily forgetting how to sign my signature, forgetting how to fill out a spreadsheet I used M-F for 2 years, among other events. He said there is a possibility they could have been seizures, but that is as far as he went on the subject. I'm going to put this post in this section for that reason, it's the only tidbit I have to go on so far!

He asked me to keep a headache diary, and also write in any time I felt odd or 'Topamax dumb' as I lovingly call it. When I realized that some of the side effects were lasting longer than I thought (example: I thought the numb feeling in my foot lasted about a minute, but when I actually wrote down when it started and ended it was closer to 10) I decided to write down those things as well, for my own purposes.

My issue is this:

On the 23rd, I had a pain in my right eye. I wrote down the word "left" instead of "right" 3 times over 6 hours, and didn't realize my error until I had a sharp pain in my left eye that night and went to write it down.

Today, Feb 27, at 5:18, I found a scrap piece of paper on my desk where I had jotted down:

Feb 27 5:27 - sharp stabbing pain over left eye
&
Feb 28 10 am - tightness, front, eye area

In that case, I obviously didn't realize my mistake on the date at all, and continued it into the next day.

I know that I make errors like these in conversation, saying east instead of west and then correcting myself if/when I catch it. Or saying a word and immediately forgetting it, not being able to find it again, or not finding it in the first place. This has been going on far longer than the few months I have been taking Topamax, I can recall being about 6 and dropping the ice cream container back into the freezer yelling "ahh, it's hot!" and my brother looking at me very weirdly asking me if I meant to say cold. Sure did!

My question is, could a partial seizure present itself during or afterwards as this type of word swap/replacement? My recognition of the error varies from instantaneous to hours or even days later. And sometimes when I do realize the error, or it is shown to me, it is still as if I have never seen it before (for example: later on in the evening on the 23rd my left cheek was numb and I touched it and said "My right cheek is numb". I knew right when I said it I still had them mixed up, yet somewhere in my head I still wasn't quite straightened around.). I could be way off base here, but any input would be appreciated!
Janiee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote