View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Attention Depakote toxicity

After daily doses of 3000mg of Depakote for bipolar disorder for the prior 12 years, my physiology seems to have changed a year ago. I began needing to sleep some 13 hours a day and had the first two car accidents of my life--both my fault for falling asleep at the wheel. My hands shook so hard that my boss thought that I was doing drugs.

Despite numerous (5 minute) visits to the psychiatrist, the shaking and sleepiness got worse. The doctor treated the symptoms: 1st Klonopin for nerves (even more sedation) and then a beta-blocker to stop the shaking. I almost lost my job for falling asleep in a morning meeting.

Finally, my husband suggested that I cut back on the Depakote, remembering an episode of Lithium toxicity that I had the fall of 2001. I was afraid to mess with my meds and possibly become manic, but in desperation we decided to try it. Almost immediately my sleeping became normal and the shaking stopped.

I am not advocating that people go against doctor's advise or go off important medicine like that for bipolar disorder. However, one's physiology does change as we grow older, and sometimes the best advise can come from those who are with us on a daily basis and see our reactions.

I am doing very well now on 2000mg of Depakote daily. I am not "cured" but I am glad that I have control of my life back. I should have pursued a second opinion 9 months ago when my doctor's inattention put me on the path that almost lost me my job, and my life.
Rojo17 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pabb (03-05-2014)