View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Debi,
We also built an apt on our home for my Mom about 2 yrs ago. My father had died and she was very lonely and had never lived alone before. Unfortunately she lived 3 hrs drive from me and I could not be caretaker from a distance and my brothers who lived nearby were not very helpful so we did not have a choice because she was beginning dementia and cannot be alone.

Your Mom will acclimate...it is an enormous change for them. Change is very hard later in life. When my Mom first got here I did things to make her feel special like making her favorite meals or doing things she loved like going to tag sales or to the library, so she was grateful. She still gets sad for her house and former life but I explain it is just a new phase. We got her her first computer, an IPAD, at 89... I keep telling her that is quite an accomplishment...she uses Netflix every day, play solitaire and even has learned to use YouTube to watch clips of her favorite old comedians like Jack Benny and Sid Caesar and laughs herself silly. I cannot recommend this enough for older folks. If my Mom, now 90, with mild dementia can learn to use it, anyone can and honestly, she had never touched a computer in her life.
My best, Diandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by St George 2013 View Post
Thank you for this.....my mom, 82, build an addition on to our house and she just moved in on Saturday......she's doing ok but is missing her house very much. There is only one house between mine and hers.

She's blaming me for making her move but agrees with my reasons. I'm sure in time she will become use to her new 'place'. I try to tell her it is just like us moving when my dad was in the Air Force. They made 5 moves after I was born.....not sure how many before that.

Debi from Georgia

Last edited by Diandra; 02-28-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (08-06-2015), eva5667faliure (03-01-2014), St George 2013 (02-28-2014)