Thread: My Story
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 03:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Weekly update:

I blew it yesterday. After 19 without alcohol I broke yesterday and had 2 beers. I guess it could have been worse, but the sobriety count now stands back at 1 day.

Other than a lack of will power on my part I blame it on a really painful day. Went out to run some errands and I knew it was going to be bad as soon as I put my shoes on. Burning feet, painful raw soles, agony with every step. The pain and anxiety got to me and i needed a couple beers to take the edge off and get relief for and hour or two.

Let's throw in some positive news. The burning has continued to be down from where it was 3 weeks ago. The Tinel sign on the top of my left foot is less sensitive. Not sure what it means but I assume its good. Little to no numbness in either feet.

Now for the bad. Right foot still aches bad when standing. Developed a new pain behind the middle toe in my right foot that comes and goes. Pain is even reaching up into my ankle and calf, maybe from bad walking mechanics as I compensate for the pain when I walk. Pain in the ball of left foot is still bad. Skin felt very raw yesterday on both feet.

Feet have felt really cold on occasion. I thought maybe a circulation problem as my feet seemed really pale at times. Checked pulses on both feet and seem to be ok. Hair on my feet seemed patchier than I recall from the past. I did a few extra epsom salts in hot water to get circulation going. I think I might have overdone it which is what I'm hoping caused the skin rawness, so I'm going to back off soaks for a week and see if my skin doesn't improve.

Saw a psychologist the other day who prescribed me Prozac. I'm going to give it a try because I'm really down mentally right now, and I'm willing to try anything that'll help. I'm hoping to get my feet under control and get off the meds down the road. I'm normally a fairly healthy happy person until all this started.

Finally I'm starting to question whether my PN symptoms are alcohol related. Mrs D mentioned a slow progression with alcohol neuropathy, where mine came on rather quickly. Did I miss early warning signs? Toxicity perhaps? Injury I ignored? Hereditary? The investigation continues. Either way giving up alcohol is for the best regardless and my body needs to heel, so I'm sticking with the plan until I come up with a better idea.

-96 days since left foot symptoms
-49 days since right foot symptoms
-24 days on Nortriptyline
-1 days sober
-18 days on supplements
IH8PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote