View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Smitty,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here. I do have a few questions if you feel comfortable answering them.

How long had it been since your last dental examination?
Friday, Feb. 28, 2014

How long have you been taking fish oil?
I was taking 1 a day for years and never had problems while taking just one but doubled up to 2 a day in Sept. or Oct. 2013. I am sensitive to medications and this has just started since I doubled up on the fish oil. And, the overdose symptoms of fish oil stated bleeding gums as one of the symptoms. I didn't take one web site's word for these symptoms. I found the symptoms from several different sources. I also had some of the other symptoms that was stated under overdose symptoms. I don't mean to keep bringing this up but it is easy for me to overdose on any kind of medications.

What are taking for your allergies?
I can only take 1/4 of a benadryl or 1 Allegra occasionally due to the side effects they give me. I'm unable to take them daily.

Were you a cigarette smoker at any time?
No, never have.

When a dentist recommends a patient to a periodontist for a full mouth treatment, this indicates that there is a general gum problem going on and not one that is limited to just one area. You said at least one tooth has some pocketing and something about needing bone grafts .... could there be more than just that one tooth that is invovled?

I have always had one tooth that has a receding gum and it is on the side that he says has a pocket but it has never given me a problems and isn't now.

Have you been told in the past that you had periodontal problems or did you have periodontal treatment years ago?

That's what is so strange to me. He has never mentioned anything about having periodontal problems and my gums have never bled before this time when he checked them and had just started a few days before when I brushed my teeth. I have not taken any fish oil since last Friday and now my gums are not bleeding at all when I brush.

Are you missing teeth or do you wear a partial denture?

I have a bridge for my 2 upper front teeth.

Generally fish oil supplements do not cause any bleeding of the gums in healthy people who have healthy gums. If a person has a health condition, takes certain medications or has periodontal disease and they are prone to some gum bleeding when they brush or floss, the fish oil can increase the volume of blood because it is a natural blood thinner.

Bleeding gums are never normal or something that should be ignored. If it is due to bacteria and a build up of tartar, then treatment to remove to remove the bacteria and new oral hygiene techniques need to be implemented. If it is due to prescription or over the counter medications then your physician needs to make adjustments in an effort to reduce the bleeding.

Bryanna
He has me cleaning the pocket with Hydrogen peroxide and he gave me a rinse to use twice a day. Thanks for your time!
Smitty500 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote