View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi socasusie,

You are not paranoid......... ..... just protective of yourself and you know your limits better than anyone else. I can relate to that completely

The swelling does not surprise me. This is typically seen in patients who have had the extent of oral surgery that you have had. Just to warn you... it may get a bit worse before it gets better. With that said....anytime over the next 3-4 days if you develop severe or different pain, a fever, or hives call the oral surgeon. If you develop swelling on the inside of your mouth (tongue, throat) consider that an emergency. If the current swelling remains the same for another two-three days and then starts to subside, that would be normal. If at the end of 4 days it has not changed, call the oral surgeon.

Drink plenty of water.... water.... water. Keep flushing your system out. Eat soft nutritious foods, take your vitamin supplements and your probiotics.

Do not apply ice at this stage. You could apply a warm MOIST heat pack to that side of your face 3-4 times a day. Not dry heat.... moist only. Sleep with your head elevated so the blood doesn't pool in your face as that can cause more swelling.

You are so brave for taking all of this one at one time. I understand the reasons for it..... but it is still brave!

It's good that you are home and able to rest. Find a good book or pretty magazines to get lost in... just chill and take care of yourself.

Keep us posted.......

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by socasusie View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Paranoid patient here. So, first, follow-up. The dentist said the "short crown" was likely due to my gums being more swollen when he placed it due to the lupus. It touched the gums when he placed it. He's wants to give it another month or two, and then said he will replace it free of charge if it still isn't right.

So, I had my extraction Monday. It was my first molar on my lower left, and the roots remaining from a previous second molar extraction, plus placing 2 implants. The extraction was really tough-I have very, very strong bones. He had to use the hammer/chisel thing for a good 10-15 minutes total, and take the tooth out in like 7-8 pieces over the course of an hour and 15 minutes or longer. I was up all night in pain despite having oxycodone (I take Vicodin for my lupus, so it's not strong enough for post surgical pain). It was the worst dental procedure I've ever had-the oral surgeon said it was a very, very hard extraction. He hates root canals (one of the reasons I like him) and was saying that anytime a tooth has had a root canal they're a nightmare to get out. The tooth was extracted because there was a crack in it, and I didn't want to wait until it hurt.

So my question is, I'm at about 36 hours and my cheek is HUGE! I'm nervous that something is wrong because it's never been this bad after dental work. I don't have signs of an infection-no warmth or fever, no discharge (except a little blood), and I'm on antibiotics. I have also had limits on what I can take anti-inflammatory wise, so I can only take around 6-8 Advil in 24 hours, so it can't really take down the swelling fast enough. He wanted me in this one anti inflammatory, but my lupus docs shot him down.

Is this normal? When should I worry? Luckily, I have all week off work to recover.

Thank for always sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote