Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
Hello Everyone,

I came across this forum recently and found lots of invaluable infos. Hope to get your collective wisdom on Bikram yoga. This type of yoga is practiced in a hot room with approximately 104 degrees for 90 minutes. I was practicing Bikram yoga for number of years, was diagnosed with PD in 2012 and stopped going to classes for 8 months. Bikram yoga has many benefits, it improves your balance, flexibility, strength and cardiovascular capacity. It’s also highly addictive, in a good way - endorphins make you fill great. Anyway, I resumed going to classes about 10 months ago. However, despite its benefits, I worry about potential increase of oxidative stress, induced by extra heat. After reading the link (can not post a link apparently) today at * website about exposures of fruit flies to extreme conditions including high temperature, I am re-thinking if I should continue Bikram. Even a thought of it makes me depressed, though
I wonder, if someone has an experience with it, or opinion, or came across any reference.
Finally, sorry for grammar and style - English is not my 1st language.
boy, seems like you are the worrier. there are plenty of other ways of exercising that have shown a benefit such as tai chi, tango, resistence training, spinning, treadmill, boxing, etc - long term benefit not yet established but short term for sure. i was playing soccer on a men's over 40 team when i was diagnosed - only symptom was slight reduced dexterity in right hand and slight stiffness in right leg, played for another 3 years and after playing a game it felt like i didn't have pd for a few hours, but my pd did progress albeit slower than the average, can't say it was the vigorous exercise.

i also had access to a sauna when first diagnosed and used it at least once a week for a year, stopped after i stopped my athletic club membership.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote