View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, Bikram yoga is a best way to get all benefits at once. I tried stationery bike, but I’m pedaling too slow and cannot get into high enough heart beat zone. In a way, Bikram is an easy solution for lazy people like me: you don’t have to push yourself, your heart beats elevates automatically due to an extra heat. Also, as I mentioned, it’s addictive because you “get high” during and after the class. That’s why, no matter how tired or busy I am, I am always willing to do it. Unfortunately, there is a potential harmful side-effect of heat. I found a study “Oxidative Stress for an Acute Bout of Bikram Yoga in Healthy, Trained Adults”. They measured number of bio-markers typical for oxidative stress, and concluded that in their study “trained participants did not undergo significant oxidative stress regardless of increased oral body temperature or heart rates from the practice of Bikram yoga in the heat. Explanation of comparable levels of oxidative stress may be due to the experience and acclimatization to the practice.”
Nevertheless, an oxidative stress defense in people with neurological problems may be diminished.
Lana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote