View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Rrae,

The facts you stated, 25% up to a max of $6000, with SSA approval is standard and should definitely cover one through an ALJ appeal. If a case goes beyond that, I am not sure what is standard.

I do know that if someone winds up appealing at the Federal court level, that is in an entirely different category. At that level there are court costs, filing fees, and LOTS of legal work.

Does the contract state that IF you go beyond the ALJ level, the legal fees would be x,y,z? As long as you still have the discretion of whether you go that far or that you can change attorney at that point, I think signing the contract would be safe as the max would remain at $6000 up to and through an ALJ hearing.

Just my opinion, but money amounts have different impacts on different people. $6000 is a LOT of money to someone like me but may be a drop in the bucket for someone of wealth. The amount of work done by a lawyer up to and through an ALJ hearing varies. Some legal reps do little to earn it and some do a lot. Each case is different.

Regardless of one's financial situation, I personally think a $6000 reduction in back-pay is sure better than NO back-pay and the reason one is usually willing to pay up to that max in legal fees is the assistance rendered in getting through the process.

As far as any amounts above and beyond that for services rendered beyond an ALJ hearing need not be considered until such time as you make a decision to go beyond that level. Talk with your attorney (or potential attorney) to be sure there is a clear understanding of the fee contract arrangement, what it covers and what it does not.

Just my guess, and I do mean I am guessing, but I think the need for approval by the SSA is that they are looking out for the applicant and they are making sure that some unscrupulous attorney does not take advantage of the client.

Good luck to you and just be sure you discuss fully with any attorney exactly what his fee contract does and does not cover and what obligations you will be under and to what level.

Hopeless
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (03-06-2014)