View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Rrae,

I do not know if I am allowed to post this information, so first, I am asking the moderators to review it and remove if necessary.

I looked up the actual rulings regarding attorney fees in the past and did so once again to help answer your question. Attorney is allowed something called a two-tiered fee which has different fee for services rendered at various levels.

More general information regarding fees can be found in the SSA regulations. I am posting or attempting to post a link that may be of help to you.

Link did not work - Sorry

This may or may not work. Not good at posting a link.

Below is a direct quote copy and paste from SSA-1560-U4
TOE 850
OMB No. 0960-0104
http//policy.ssa

Quote:
No matter what you may have agreed to in writing, SSA decides how much your representative may charge you for his or her services. SSA must decide what is a reasonable fee for the work your representative did, keeping in mind the purpose of the social security or supplemental security income program. SSA does not automatically approve 25 percent of any past-due benefits as a reasonable fee. SSA must consider the (1) extent and type of services the representative performed; (2) complexity of your case; (3) level of skill and competence required of your representative in giving the services; (4) amount of time he or she spent on your case; (5) results achieved; (6) levels of review to which your representative took your claim and at which he or she became your representative; and (7) amount of fee he or she requests, including any amount requested or authorized before but excluding any amount of expenses incurred. SSA also considers the amount of benefits payable, if any, but approves a fee amount based on all the factors given here. This is because the amount of benefits payable to you is determined by the law and regulations, not by your representative's efforts. Also, the amount of past-due benefits may depend on the length of time that has gone by since your effective date of entitlement
I am hoping that the above quote is OK and not copyright infringement since I stated the exact place of origin and did not make any alterations. Direct copy and paste.

To the moderators, please remove and fix for me if I have done anything improper here.

Thank you.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote