View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation just diagnosted with sfn, new member, HELP NEEDED

Aloha,

I am a new member to this site. I just got the diagnosis of SFN from the skin biopsy. I have lived in Kona Hawaii for 22 years and worked as a nurse in recovery room. I am now in north county San Diego with my Sister for the last 3 1/2 months getting medical care.
The pain started in the heels of my feet over 2 years ago and was mild. Ibuprofen took care of it and it didn't affect my daily living. Last april I noticed pain in the ball of my left foot that was burning and had the sensation of a "bubble" that i was walking on behind my left 2nd toe. I then saw my doctor and podiatrist. No cortisone shots worked. All tests run on me were normal. Everyone said my foot pain would just go away, just rest my feet and I would get better. But by Aug 2013 I was limping and couldn't take the pain anymore, so the end of aug was my last day at work. I stand 10 hours a day, 40 plus hours a week.
In Sept while on sick leave, I started getting nauseous with severe fatigue and my foot pain worsened with the left foot much worse. In November I saw another Doctor who looked at my and told me I had a neurological disease, probably MS. He asked if I had any symptoms of tingling in my arms. He ordered an MRI. I was distraught and devastated! That very night I woke up with tingling down my arms, that I had never had. The MRI was normal.
The end of November I then got on a plane with my husband, very sick and came to my sisters to get medical help I had lost 12 pounds in a few months due to nausea and severe fatigue episodes. I barely left the house. After a hospital stay at Cedars in LA I still didn't have a diagnosis, infact, told I didn't have a neurologic disease. But alot of tests were done. The only one that was off was an ANA of 160, previously 40 in sept. But further testing was neg.
I have since seen a really good rheumatologist that ruled out auto immune at this time. He was the one who suspected SFN and referred me to a Neurologist who specializes in it (In North county san diego) and did the skin biopsy.
Since I have been at my sisters I have had ups and downs, but have managed to put on a few pounds (I'm 5'8" and 121 now) and am not quite as fatigued. I am eating pretty healthy, have cut out sugars. The nausea is mostly gone. I am taking vitamin supplements regularly now. My C-reactive protein was 16.37 on dec 2013, my cortisol 22.6 at the same time. Still pretty sick then. B 12 was 293 back in sept and now in the 800's since taking supp.
In Nov the EBV Early antigen was 54.5 (normal 0-10) and the EBV IgG was 749 (normal 0-21), EBV IgM was 10 (normal) I did have Mononucleosis as a teenager.
I see the neuro this week. I got the results of the biosy over the phone. What pertinent questions should i ask? I want to get better and will do whatever it takes to get better. My parents both have diabetes. My A1c was 5.5. I am doing all that I can to stay positive. I still have the buzzing in my arms sometimes at night and my hands are sore, sometimes some muscles in my arms. My feet still hurt also. Is it possible to completely get better? I was a very active healthy person before this started. Any help would be appreciated! Mahalo!!!
debra lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote