Thread: Ivig
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Ivig vs. Immunsuppressants

I am not sure if this is the right category for this question ---- I am considering using Ivig as my treatment method to replace cyclosporin that I am currently taking. I successfully used Imuran for 16 years but at about the 14th year mark I began developing squamous cell skin cancers (arms and hands). By the 16th year they were popping up like popcorn. One month I developed seven at once on my two hands. About 15 months ago, my neuro switched me to CellCept which did not slow the skin cancers down and then a few months after that he switched to Cyclosporin. I have had a total of 12 skin cancers treated since the first of 2013 and now in 2014, I have two small ones visible but do not seem to be getting larger.
BUT, my MG symptoms are now uncontrolled. All the things we all experience, can't raise my arms, SOB, double vision, unable to walk, etc. If I increase the Cyclosporin to hopefully reduce the MG symptoms I am most likely going to increase the skin cancers again. Also, I have better results/less side effects from prostigmin but that drug has been discontinued to I am back on Mestinon battling diarrhea. I can take a pill for that though.
My last Ivig treatments (5 days, 4 days, 3 days, 1 day over 4 months) was very helpful in reducing symptoms while giving the Cyclosporin time to work. My neuro has now suggested I use Ivig in place of an immunosuppressant. He suggests a 5 day initial dosing and then one day per month thereafter. The vascular dept. has recommended insertion of a mediport so I can get the treatments monthly without having to use the traditional needle stick.

Finally, to my questions -- 1) Does anybody else just use Ivig and Mestinon? 2) If so, do you have a mediport? PICC line? 3) Any other treatments used instead of immunosuppressants/corticosteroids?

Thanks so much for reading this lengthy post and thanks for any suggestions you may share with me.
MzzzKathee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote