View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 03:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For now, I'd keep both appts. You can always cancel the 2nd one if the 1st new Neuro makes you feel comfortable with his/her level of knowledge/compassion.

My syrinx was definitely spotted on the MRI by the NeuroSURGEON. None of the Neurologists I'd seen over the years, that had MRI'd me, had seen either the Chiari Malformation OR the syrinx. And looking back at some of the older MRI's, they were definitely both there.

Since I went so long undiagnosed, it's hard to know when the Syrinx formed. There are actually two different types of pain relating to them. The Chiari always felt like I had a vice grip on my head and it was squeezing and causing migraines in the back of my head. The pain radiated to my shoulders and upper back. I was (and still am, but due to other diseases) very clumsy. Always tripping and falling and dropping things.

The Syrinx pain. Well...that feels like I'm being ice-picked in the back of my neck. I have to keep myself under tight control at all times, because even the narcotics can't get me below a 7 on the 1-10 scale. I'm always in excruciating pain. But if I keep a tight lid on it I can stay on top of the pain. I can live at a 7. At a 9 I feel like I'm going insane from the pain. The problem is that I spent a lifetime doing things that you CAN'T do if you have a syrinx. You can't do anything that causes your CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) to "surge". Like bending over and picking things up. Heavy things. Anything over 10lbs was forbidden to me after surgery. I am VERY symptomatic with the syrinx, too. Although it's hard to tell if that's it or because I also have Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, Reactive Hypoglycemia and Allergic Fungal Sinusitus along with this "probable" (dr's words) Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis I"m facing right now. It's what came first - chicken or egg type of deal for me.

I guess what I'm babbling like an idiot about is that some people don't even know they have these things until some trauma happens (car wreck, bad migraines, etc) and a great dr sees the Chiari and/or the Syrinx. Me? I grew up in pain, so we always knew "something" was wrong.

Your Chiari WILL cause the symptoms you are questioning for sure. Those and a "cape of pain" are all typical Chiari symptoms. I hope you can go to the website I mentioned above (but can't link as I don't have enough posts on this website yet for them to allow me link priviledges). You will get a TON of resource help there.

I hope you are having more pain free days than pain full.
Raigne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mimiRN (03-08-2014)