View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 12:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenaw View Post
Hello All,

Please be patient - I'm little nervous, kinda scared.

I have had advancing PN for 4 years now. (I am 56yrs). Started with small tingling in feet, advanced to feeling like I'm wearing socks, to where I am now, which is lots of tingle in feet and burn on bottom. One of my many Docs believes it comes from my back, as when I do work that involves bending, crouching down, or what is causing my most resent flareup, running a grinder for two days in my garage which vibrated my whole body, I get bad Tingle/burning. He put me on Neurontin 300mg a day.

One important thing to add - for over 25yrs I was grossly overweight, over 400 pds. When I was 44yrs I went on lowCarb diet and lost 180 pds in 16 months. I started running/working out - life was good. But then the PN started about 4 years ago. My blood sugar has always been normal, even when overweight. My A1c's have been 4.9 -5.2 since I lost the weight.

I am wondering if the years of being so overweight have taken their toll on my bones/muscles/nerves, and now I am paying the price for being so overweight. My Family Doc tells me I have already done the best I can do to help myself, which is lose the weight and keep it off. But along with everything else, I suffer from acute Panic attacks/anxiety, for which I am on medication.

I guess what I would like to know is -- What I really need to hear from folks is -- do most of you lead a "normal " life with this?? I mean, as much as possible, are you able to go on vacations, and work, or have a life? Sometimes the fear washes over me like waves crashing a boat, and I feel like my life has surrendered itself.

Please tell me that, even though a challenge, life can still be lived with this.

I am sorry for such a confusing posting. I am not at my best right now.

God bless you all.

Thanks.
I am not certain what you are asking, but I will do the best that I can. I have had this all of my life, but the typical neuropathy symptoms set in in my 30's. From numb toes to numb feet it has progressed until most of the symptoms are at thigh and hip level. My hands and arms are also involved, with numbness and tingling that wakes me at night, and weakness. I walk with a cane. I am 52.

The main thing is to eliminate all treatable causes, if it is related to your back issues can it be treated? If you have exhausted those avenues the next step is to get your pain under control. You will find a lot of advice here, from lifestyle modifications to supplements to medications.

Once your pain is controlled it is possible to have a very"normal" life. I keep house for 5-7 people, cook, do laundry. I have a cleaning woman for heavy jobs and we moved the washer and dryer up from the basement. Stairs are tough and I save them for going up to bed. We leveled the floors so that I don't trip at doorways.

Vacations are different. I have learned that anything that requires stopping and starting- museums, theme parks, airports, is better done with a wheelchair. I can get up and walk when I have to, but it is very important to conserve energy. It is also, paradoxically, important to exercise as tolerated. Some of us notice a definite lessening of the pain in the feet when we are walking.

The phenomena that you describe of the vibrations setting off a flare is another common experience. Riding in a car does that to me.

It does get easier, even if it gets worse. You can come to an uneasy truce with your symptoms and learn to manage them. Knowledge is power. Become as expert as you can, both about your own condition and and about the ways to treat it. Find a doctor who will work with you to maintain the best possible quality of life.

I woke up this morning feeling good. My medication is working well, I wasn't sore from yesterday's physical therapy, and the elephant that has been sitting on my chest all week seems to have lost weight. I was looking forward to playing with the dog, with a base pain level that would have kept me in bed all day ten years ago. We really can cope with an enormous amount of stress if we have to.

Keeping asking questions. People on this forum are really helpful!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (03-09-2014)