View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenaw View Post
What I really need to hear from folks is -- do most of you lead a "normal " life with this?? I mean, as much as possible, are you able to go on vacations, and work, or have a life?
Hi keweenaw, welcome.

Many of the folks here are:
  1. New to PN and scared spitless; many come & go; some stay
  2. Have multiple health issues—some worse than PN—some with more difficult types of PN (there are over 100)
  3. In dire straights—on the "severe" side of the bell curve
So I don't know if it's accurate or fair to say that folks here lead a normal life with this, HOWEVER, I think for many—even some here—their PN is more of an inconvenience/nuisance. At the risk of it is what it is.

That said, it is certainly possible and eminently doable to live a reasonably normal life with PN. To maximize your chances, I think it's important to
  1. Learn as much as you can about your health conditions
  2. Keep a positive attitude & sense of humor—even about this
  3. Avoid triggers—foods/activities/etc. that exacerbate your symptoms or cause flares
  4. Take general care of yourself (which it sounds like you're doing)
  5. Maybe take a few supplements
The items I've mentioned are those that have helped me cope with & control this thing, and (despite a few other health issues I'm dealing with) live as good/normal a life as I can.

There's a lot to be learned on this site, and a lot of experience & wisdom available for the asking (and very often asking is not required )

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CeCe55 (03-11-2014)