View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hello Yolandi,

Quote:
After going through extensive testing (MRI, EEG, EMG, LP and blood tests) many of my results were given and I saw my neurologist on Friday again. She said to me a substance were found in my spinal fluid, called oligoclonal bands
Quote:
that are found in Multiple Sclerosis, but I don’t fit the profile for Multiple Sclerosis
Do you know what your Neurologist meant when he said you do not fit the profile for Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?

Oligoclonal bands (o-bands) ---

Quote:
CSF oligoclonal banding is a test to look for inflammation-related proteins in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the clear fluid that flows in the space surrounding the spinal cord and brain.

Oligoclonal bands are proteins called immunoglobulins, which suggest inflammation of the central nervous system. The presence of oligoclonal bands may be a sign of multiple sclerosis.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003631.htm

When I was diagnosed with MS I had 5 o-bands, a clear MRI, could not pass a Neurological exam and was having a severe exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). There was and is a criteria for diagnosing MS (McDonald Criteria) but I did not fit the criteria at the time (Poser Criteria) of diagnosis. I did go on to meet criteria one year later with a second exacerbation.

You might want to post over on the Multiple Sclerosis Forum and as questions there