View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 06:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you....

to all that have responded so positively.
Carolyn...your links will prove so useful.I have not really searched too widely on the net therefore your pointers will be so valuable.I am going to set some time aside to investigate them at my leisure.This is one of MY many failings..not having enough ME time and that is my own doing.We can all moan and blame others can`t we,but at the end of the day it is ouor own responsibility to make life work for US. I seem to be on an endless trip of tidying the home and tied to its chores.I am seriously going to sit and make a list of the things I can LET GO of and the things that WILL WAIT and gather some ME TIME.
Thank you also for sharing your own personal stories.They are so helpful and informative.

Wendy. Meditation. How wonderful to be able to just sit peacefully,clear your mind of clutter and get in tune withi yourself.So often we dismiss the quiet times and the "don`t do anything" times as a waste and yet the benefits must be extremely rewarding.If you have any tips on how to begin they would be welcomed as I imagine it takes more than just sitting crossed legged on the floor.It must take some amount of skill to execute and be able to "still" your mind and body.Thank you for this.

Chris. So useful to actually read about something that has worked. Tried and tested methods are what I was hoping for here,so this is terrific.We owe it to ourselves to take care of our bodies,which ,lets face it,we push to the "nth" degree until the point of exhaustion.The only way it can protest is by breaking down I guess..so rather than see a session at a salon as a luxury,I think we PD folk can view it as an extension of our medicine.
I am so glad you have finally begun to experience some relief from the wearing effect of pain.This is a great start to the healing process and to managing rather than accepting of what we have been given.You clearly have a zest for life which makes PD a difficult illness to cope with.When our minds are still as bright and alert,and we remember and reflect on what we "used to be able to do" but no longer can,that is tough to work around.But I see the change as giving ourselves the opportunity to do something different.Letting go is hard,but with support and encouragement ,the transition can be eased a little.Thank you for your valuable input.

Ibby. How true your words are.I was especially drawn to "skeletal allignment" for it was the addressing of THIS ...that turned my world around.I have repeatedly told the story of how,a few years ago I walked like a wizened old lady...needed a wheelchair and could only tackle the stairs on my hands and knees.It was my sister in law,a physiotherapist of remarkable skill,that drew my posture and worked on re-aligning my crooked and twisted boody.I have described this former "me " as nothing shorot of "QUASI MODO".
My back was hunched,my right arm permanently glued to my right side or more often,across my body.Losing this b alancing tool[your arms swing to give you fluidity] my walking was laboured and I lurched rather than walked.
When she was through with me I had got back my catwalk wiggle and could sashay quite smoothly down the street.It was a wonderful feeling of liberation and I also was able to run which I had resigned myself to being a thing of the past.
You are spot on with your reply,Thank you so much.

Steff
x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote