View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenaw View Post
Hello All,

Please be patient - I'm little nervous, kinda scared.

I have had advancing PN for 4 years now. (I am 56yrs). Started with small tingling in feet, advanced to feeling like I'm wearing socks, to where I am now, which is lots of tingle in feet and burn on bottom. One of my many Docs believes it comes from my back, as when I do work that involves bending, crouching down, or what is causing my most resent flareup, running a grinder for two days in my garage which vibrated my whole body, I get bad Tingle/burning. He put me on Neurontin 300mg a day.

One important thing to add - for over 25yrs I was grossly overweight, over 400 pds. When I was 44yrs I went on lowCarb diet and lost 180 pds in 16 months. I started running/working out - life was good. But then the PN started about 4 years ago. My blood sugar has always been normal, even when overweight. My A1c's have been 4.9 -5.2 since I lost the weight.

I am wondering if the years of being so overweight have taken their toll on my bones/muscles/nerves, and now I am paying the price for being so overweight. My Family Doc tells me I have already done the best I can do to help myself,
which is lose the weight and keep it off. But along with everything else, I suffer from acute Panic attacks/anxiety, for which I am on medication.

I guess what I would like to know is -- What I really need to hear from folks is -- do most of you lead a "normal " life with this?? I mean, as much as possible, are you able to go on vacations, and work, or have a life? Sometimes the fear washes over me like waves crashing a boat, and I feel like my life has surrendered itself.

Please tell me that, even though a challenge, life can still be lived with this.

I am sorry for such a confusing posting. I am not at my best right now.

God bless you all.

Thanks.
Hi and welcome to Neurotalk!

I can relate to the wave of fear that you speak of but then I remind myself that whatever the progression of my SFN is I am doing whatever I can to help my situation.

I am a nurse and did have to stop working last November. However, I had a job that was very busy and I was on my feet all day. I did love my job and it was extremely hard to give up. I've had SFN for 6 1/2 years so I was able to work for 5 years with it. Please remember I am only 1 example. There are others here that are able to work.

I try to do as much as I can everyday. I enjoy vacation at a slower pace. Being at a slower pace is not always the worse thing that can happen to a person. You get use to it. I lived my life running around. Often I think god gave me SFN to slow me down. I pay more attention to my husband and family. I was headed for divorce before this happened. I was shocked by how good my husband can be.

Trust me I wish I didn't have this but you learn (or at least I have) to look for the blessings and live your life as it is. I've was blessed with two beautiful grandchildren after I became sick. Not working now I have the time for them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is most of us here try to make lemons from lemonade. This site is how I learned to do that. Keep coming around there are great people, and information here.

Last edited by hopeful; 03-10-2014 at 05:46 PM.
hopeful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CeCe55 (03-11-2014), Dr. Smith (03-10-2014), yupings (03-10-2014)