Thread: O/T Groceries
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dead On

Aussie99,
Mel is dead on w/ her assessment - you've got way too much responsibility for one person. My wife and I both have long commutes and work long hours so dinners can be a real adventure at times. Vicki is a wonderful cook and baker and loves to do both but time is at a premium.

Like Mel we do a lot of "bulk cooking", particularly smoking or slow grilling. Every weekend possible we grill multiple dishes simultaneously so we have dinners and work lunches for the following week. For example, it's not uncommon for us to do a beer-can turkey or chicken and fish or portabella mushrooms and a pork roast. We do beef but much less frequently and we grill all of the vegi's too. I've tried some fruits but I'm still getting the hang of it but I don't mind eating my mistakes either.
We shop multiple grocery stores for specials on everything we can and do the Costco or Sams Club trips too. I laugh at times at Vicki and her coupons but it saves it saves us a ton of money. We budget pretty carefully and spend ~$100-120/week unless we go out for dinner which many times is to a local Greek diner where we will share a Greek salad or some evenings just an omelet - a real treat if we can get can get grits instead of potatoes but up North here that's not common.
We do divide up the "chores" but Vicki still has the greater share - we're working on that, for example, nights that she does yoga she gets home ~7:30 or 8:00 which is just before my day usually ends so I'll make dinner usually from what we grilled over the weekend - maybe somewhat boring or repititious to some people but we can get pretty creative and are always experimenting.
All in all once we still have convenience for us but now much healthier and flavorful.

Alkymst
Alkymst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote