View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Erin, good luck with the remodel. Please don't sleep in that room tonight. It will have fresh composite in it (building materials), unless the workman is just sawing today. Even if he's just sawing he may be sawing into composite, which is made of wood chips glued together and containing a variety of chemicals. You may not be as sensitive as I am to that stuff, but everyone is sensitive when it's "new" and "outgassing". You must avoid it at least until the smell gets less, indicating that some outgassing has taken place.
Erika, don't you agree with this, from your vantage as a health care person, and Mrs. D. too, if you are reading today?
When we bought a new house many years ago, I got sick right away and had to keep the windows open 24/7. We had the house tested, and the only thing the tester found was the formaldehye in the composite shelving. Irv (my husband) replaced everything upstairs with cedar shelving, and coated the downstairs new cabinets with Safecoat, a product which seals in the gases coming off of the material.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (03-11-2014), SallyC (03-11-2014)