Thread: O/T Groceries
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We spend about $150 for 2 (21 y.o. is living on campus @ college), with a beagle hound and a Siamese cat (who are always hungry).
We both work and get home about 6 pm and say "well..what are we gonna eat tonite?" We look in the freezer and decide.
I cook most nites and its a round-robin of chicken (boneless skinless breasts), then (lean) beef, then pork, then fish- but it seems more often chicken - grilled, in sauce (cacciatore), baked with a coating, or in a Caesar salad. Beef is a 1 lb steak (8 oz ea) or a roast, or lean 97%-ground (tacos, spaghetti sauce, chili). Pork is lean boneless loin chops or a trimmed lean loin roast. Shrimp is a usual, too (on the grill, steamed, in jambalaya, garlic sauce & linguine, etc) Salad is a must (low fat dressings), and pasta, beans or rice a usual side. We stick to 4-6 oz (cooked weight) per serving. We use spray oils (Pam) mostly for cooking & on the grill. Olive oil other times.
My wife is a Weight Watchers 'lifer' and counts points, as well as shops - so that is a deciding factor. She also 'brown-bags' her lunches. I take an apple (or other fruit) and granola bars to work, daily. But my wife maintains her (lost 50 lbs) weight, and I seem not to be able to lose - but I'm not as stringent about my diet as she (and being on Lyrica doesn't help matters).