View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I don't know if the age discrepancy is an error in the press release or if the FDA is taking a conservative stance and only approving it for adults at this time.

Another discrepancy I noticed (which IMO is material) is that the company website claims...
Quote:
... migraine headaches are less frequent, less painful, and simply disappear.
http://www.cefaly.ca/
emphasis mine

...while the 67 patient study showed:
Quote:
The device ... did not reduce the intensity of migraines that did occur.
http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm388765.htm
For us (migraine patients), any improvement is good news, but if any claim is/can be brought into question, that casts doubt/raises questions about any/all claims.

I also noted that...
Quote:
The patient satisfaction study showed that a little more than 53 percent of patients were satisfied with Cefaly treatment and willing to buy the device for continued use.
Ibid.
So while about half were satisfied, about half weren't satisfied (i.e. convinced).

My take on it at this time is... A decent TENS unit can be gotten for <$100, with a lot more versatility than Cefaly @ ~$250-$400. I'm sure the high pricetag is due to patent and the sellers hoping insurance will pick up the tab. From what I know about electronics, a fair/reasonable (and still profitable) price would be more like $25-$40, which I think more people would be willing to take a flyer on, on basically a 50/50 proposition. Many will wait until someone figures out how to use a regular TENS unit for the same effect, or until TENS mfrs. include migraine settings/options on their units (which I'm guessing won't be very long).

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nanc (03-13-2014)