View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Just a thought...

I am so sorry you and your family are facing these issues...but so many are these days.

In my family, we have several members who are Celiac. I recently had one of my nieces diagnosed with Hoshimotos Thyroiditis, which is considered a pre-cursor many times. Because of this situation, I have suggested that my whole family get the genetic test, because as my Hematologist at Mayo Clinic has said, some may have the genes without the actual "trigger" but still have issues. Here is a bit of information I shared with my family:

The genes can be classified into two groups:
1. immune regulatory genes (CTLA-4, HLA and PTPN22)
2. thyroid specific genes (thyroglobulin receptor gene)
Some of the genes vary in different ethnic groups. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is associated with HLA-DR3, HLA-DR4 and HLA-DR5 genes in Caucasians. The HLA-DR3 is also responsible for the susceptibility for type 1 diabetes and Grave’s disease in families with a genetic predisposition. Furthermore, an association between Hashimoto’s and HLA-DQw7 has also been reported in Caucasians, while HLA-DRw53 was found in Japanese and HLA-DR9 in Chinese population.
Other autoimmune diseases are also associated with the same genes as a Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Prevalence of celiac disease was noted to be in up to 19% of patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus, up to 4.5% in Grave’s and 13% in Hashimoto’s disease. The coexistence of celiac and autoimmune thyroid disease is partly due to a common genetic predisposition. Both celiac disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis are reported to be associated with the genes CTLA-4, HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 and share common trigger of the disease gluten.
If you have Hashimoto’s and/or celiac disease and worry that your children can also get these conditions you can order a HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 Gene Test that can evaluate their genetic predisposition.

I have the HLA genetics, and am currently being tested for more autoimmune diseases due to a neurologic problem. I was diagnosed very latent and therefore my immune system has been aggravated. I have told all of my children to go gluten free, if I had only known about this years ago....my mother died when I was 9 years old....I did not know that my uncle her brother had Celiac until things really started happening about 4 years ago...I am 61 years old....now I pray to help our family...
JoanieP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote