View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help me figure out my mental issues

Ok, so this started about 10 years ago (I am 24 now), and I've never been able to figure out what it was. I've talked to doctors, but haven't had much success there. I'm trying to give it another shot by getting a new family doctor.
Anyways, I'll list a couple of things that jump out at me regarding this issue.

Reading. I went from reading regular novels to reading just comic books (or graphic novels). By the time I realized I couldn't do comic books anymore either, it would take me 45 minutes to read 20 pages of them, which should regularly only take 10 to 15. When I would finish those 20 pages I would be exhausted, not sure exactly of what I've read, and would have to take a long break before attempting to read any more.

Another one is visualizing. I used to be able to close my eyes and conjure up images in my head. Specific example is when I would go to the washroom I'd occasionally try to bring up images that I had seen on my computer, or elsewhere. I can no longer do any sort of visualization in my mind.

And last one is that I don't really feel anything. I still have emotions for the most part. I can, and do laugh, or get angry, or sad, but I don't really feel. If that makes sense.
At the very beginning of all this I remember having strong feelings of not being myself. And I mean that in the most literalist sense. It felt as if I didn't have a soul anymore(even though I don't really believe in them). I felt hollow.
When I watch movies, even though I understand the basic plot points, I feel very disconnected.
When I go to a new place I don't feel anything. In fact it doesn't matter where I am, I'm not able to feel the atmosphere. Where as before, the sights the smells, and the sounds would all combine in my mind, and give a distinct feel to each place.

there are also other things, like my comunication skills, and problem solving ability, that I feel are being affected.

Also a side note of 2 things that might have the remotest possibility of causing this.
I had a concussion when I was about 5. I had flung a chair, but then forgot to let it go and smashed my head against it. Don't know how long I was out for, but I stayed in the hospital for about a week. Things seemed normal after that.
The other one is that I had some kind of surgery done on my sinuses when I was 10.I had a massive headache that wouldn't stop, and I was taken to the hospital. I was there for about 2 weeks. I recall them using some weird machine that pumped a ton of mucus out of my nose, which was done a few days after I arrived, and I no longer had the headache. The surgery it self involved what seemed like a nail, being hammered upwards through my nose. I remained conscious throughout the whole surgery.

So, does anyone have the slightest clue what all this is about?
minderased is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote